Monday, January 5, 2009

It's Been A Long Time Coming


1993-Three years after the birth of my little sister. Some guy named Clinton was running things in Washington and in November the Rose Bowl was on the line for both teams. This years version was to be held in the Colosseum and prior to the game some Bruin students tampered with(I say improved) the world famous Hollywood sign. All week I was counting down till Saturday and when the day finally came, I was nervous. I had a gathering next week with some relatives on my father's side (the sc side, ugh.)If we lost this game my father and I would never hear the end of it.

The Bruins dominated the first half and it was looking good. Wayne Cook wasn't fucking up and Stokes was in prime form. Halfway through the fourth quarter sc mounted a come back. Now usually I can remember all sorts of details and names when it comes to sports especially my Bruins but for this moment it wasn't about who won or lost but it was about the emotion that was expressed between me and my father.

Rob Johnson was leading sc to a tying score in the last minute of the fourth. As sc completed a long pass to make it first and goal my father and I both looked at each other with a look of complete diaspointment. After the game I figured we would dip into our all too familiar discussion of disappointing Bruin football.

First and goal, sc runs. Stopped short at the five (I think) *Thinking of how all my classmates will ridicule me on Monday.*

Second and goal. Another run and again stopped short of the goal line. *Oh man my aunts and uncles will never shut up!*

Now usually this is the part of the show where I bitch and moan about another close lost. But thanks to Mr. Marvin Goodwin that wont happen. On a third and goal he steps in front of an sc receiver to clinch the victory for the Bruins. My father ,who hides his emotions, starts cussing and screaming like a drunken sailor on shore leave. I was amazed that this idol of mine who famously frowns upon cussing was dropping f'bombs like there was no tomorrow. We hugged. We danced. We sang. It was the closest I have ever felt to my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment