Thursday, December 4, 2008

They Should Make This Movie


1992-Fourth grade. This years version had the 15th ranked trojies against a unknown walk on quarterback in only his third start going for the good guys. A year ago John Barnes was sneaking into the student section to watch the game. Now he was under center with a front row seat to the action. UCLA was at .500 and a win would guarantee a winning season. I had the opportunity to go but unfortunately had to cancel.It would be the first of many times I would miss Bruin games due to my sister. But to be quite honest I didn't really expect much that game. I mean, I knew we would win but, damn like this.

John Barnes not only did well, but he left a mark on this series that will never be forgotten. All he did was go 16-28 for 384 and have touchdown passes of 29, 57, and 90 yards. The 90 yarder was the one for which he'll especially be remembered for. After coming back from a 14 point deficit to start the fourth quarter, the Bruins were at their own ten with about 2 minutes to go. Barnes drops back to pass and hits J.J. Stokes for 90 yards and puts a dagger into the trojan hearts. Improbable. I should have been there but thanks again to my little sister, the memory I have of this game is watching it with pops on Prime Ticket. A fine one nonetheless, but I should of been there. I have since forgiven her. She knows she owes me a memorable sports moment and has agreed to never wear cardinal and gold. I guess I'll take what I can get.

BEAT SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment