Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oh, Now I Understand

1990-Second grade. I had been to other games in the past. I actually believe my first game was in the 88 season. (I'll have to check with pops on that one) Anyways, I was more than stoked to see my first rivalry game. It would be the proverbial duel of the quarterbacks: Tommy Maddox for the good guys and Todd Marinovich for the hated ones. The game was memorable due to the fact that it was a high scoring affair with sc winning on a touchdown (that still shouldn't count) 45-42.

The high point for me came before the start of the game. This was the game that I received my very first piece of anti-sc gear. It was a huge button that both Joe Bruin slamming tommy trojan into a trash can and around all this were the words "TRASH THE TROJANS!!" Pretty tame (compared to the FUSC shirt I now own) but when I was first given this I was blown away. I never knew that two schools could have so much hate for each other let alone understand why my pops and uncle would send each other x-mas cards consoling the loser of the game. It was right there in front of me.

BEAT SC.

No comments:

Post a Comment