Saturday, November 22, 2008

What I'm Thankful For

Keeping with the theme of the last post, (family) I'm gonna let you in on a little tradition I have with my pops. Every year on X-mas eve, (this year the event will make it's Thanksgiving debut) my mother and sister usually go to my grandmother's house or whatever aunt's house is next in the rotation, to exchange presents, eat, and other things of that nature. Usually, everyone from my mother's side is there and a good time is had by all. Well except for me and pops. You see my aunts and grandmother have always this demeanor about them. Quite simply put they hate men and all things male associated. It guess it started with my grandmother and her father. I don't want to get in to it but there are some major daddy issues . Then I guess it snowballed with the fact that none of my mother's sisters has a husband and the one that does is severely mistreated. So when my father and I make that rare appearance there is always an uncomfortable tension in the air. When I became old enough to stand up for myself I decided that I love that side of my family but I don't need to be there. I told pops we should start our own tradition. We should drink. Heavily. At first he laughed at the idea but when I said we should drink seven sevens' he immediately became interested. So while my mother's side is burning men in effigy, my father and I drink while discussing various topics ranging from the current political climate to Bruin athletics. Now again I don't have anything against that side of the family but I rather take a timeout and spend some time with the man who showed me the holy trinity of seven sevens', Tripas, and UCLA.

Cheers to you pops.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's fun :) Who cares about traditional traditions, right? :P I'm not a Thanksgiving person myself. Usually go to Vegas, but due to my back injury I'll be home this year. Maybe I'll order a pizza and watch Reno 911 ;) haha. Hope you guys have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizza and Reno? I think you might have gotten the better end of the deal.

    ReplyDelete