Monday, April 6, 2009

Ten Years Ago

(I'm reflecting on the first time I heard this artist.)

It was around this time. Well, anywhere between April and June if you want to get technical. I was still going to high school and, as was the style of the times, up to no good. I think I was ditching one day, and the girl I was with at the time (those close will know who she is) had a girlfriend whose grandparents lived a block away. After using said girlfriend's friend's fake i.d., we would walk to her grandparents house and take advantage of the situation and drink ourselves stupid. Well one time I was going through her Cd's and I liked what I saw for the most part. (Totally hated the Pep Torres) I saw the back on one of the cases and it said " Batman theme". A rockabilly version of the Batman theme? I just had to check this out.

After the song ended and feeling somewhat intrigued, I started the disc from the beginning and "Rumble" played. (I didn't know it yet, but I would later designate that song as my entrance music for if and when I make the majors) The dirty style of the guitar filled me with all sorts ideas. Most of them being deviant and sleazy in design. Not many songs back then could make the hair on the back of my head,and give me goosebumps as well.

What followed was a long and still standing appreciation for the genius that is Link Wray.

No comments:

Post a Comment